The following IRI CPG Economic Indicators, IRI Demand Index™ and IRI Inflation Tracker™, are available for France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom (UK). There is also a global view that provides an overview of CPG demand and inflation across these countries before, during and after lockdown. Spain and Greece will be coming soon.
These proprietary metrics measure weekly changes in CPG retail, providing insights and highlighting key trends in the wake of COVID-19 and in the new normal.
Highlights for the media are updated on a bi-monthly basis. Please access IRI’s indicators and COVID-19 insights and updates at IRI COVID-19 Info Portal.
Latest insights include:
- In the UK, France, Germany and the Netherlands, consumer demand in CPG remains elevated for total CPG compared to a year ago. In Italy, demand has remained stable for the past week compared to last year.
- In the UK, Netherlands and Germany demand for grocery is outpacing non-edible, while in France and Italy, non-edible is growing more than edible. In Germany, demand for non-edible is decreasing, driven by lower demand for hygiene products, cosmetics/body care products and laundry detergents.
- Each country indicates different category trends in edible, but figures overall suggest demand is slowing down as we begin to return to some kind of normality. In the UK, demand is ahead of last year for beers, wines & spirits, fresh meat and frozen although sales growth is down, while in France frozen, alcohol and beverages are down vs. a year ago but up week on week. In Italy, every category saw demand slow down compared to a year ago, dropping into negative except for packaged food.
- Other highlights in consumer demand for non-edible categories are beauty care products in France, which remain lower than last year, and in Italy where there is lower demand for perfumery, make-up and body care vs. the previous year. In the Netherlands demand for facial and body care is back to growth.
- Prices continue to increase in all of these countries. The UK being the country with the highest inflation. In the Netherlands, UK and France, alcoholic beverages are leading price increases. Frozen food also has strong inflation in Italy and the UK (with a peak in the country on ice creams/frozen desserts).
About IRI CPG Economics Indicators
IRI Demand Index monitors weekly changes in CPG purchases, by value sales, against the year-ago period across departments/aisles, categories and, in some countries, across retail formats and regions.
IRI Inflation Tracker tracks changes in the pricing of consumer-packaged goods, monitoring weekly shifts in consumer prices against the year-ago period across departments/aisles, categories and, in some countries, across retail formats and regions.
IRI’s CPG Economic Indicators also include the Top Product Growth Categories for all IRI countries in Europe, U.S. and Australia, which are updated on a weekly basis.
IRI Supply Index™ is available for Italy and soon for France.