CHICAGO, Jan. 31, 2012 – Digital media has penetrated Americans’ daily rituals as more shoppers have increased the number of ways they access the Internet. To provide new insights into how quickly consumers are embracing digital media, which demographic groups are most interested in near-term engagement, and what strategies to utilize to best engage these audiences, SymphonyIRI has released its new segmentation solution, DigitaLink™. DigitaLink leverages SymphonyIRI’s Consumer Network Panel, MarketPulse™ research and analytic capabilities to segment shoppers into unique profiles, enabling CPG and retail marketers to effectively ramp-up sales and marketing efforts with passionate online consumers.
“With DigitaLink, we identified five distinct groups of Internet users, all of whom are active online in one way or another, but access the Web in different ways, have different comfort levels with technology and various attitudes about how much they want to engage with it and the role they want the technology to play in their lives,” said Larry Levin, executive vice president and general manager, Consumer Insights, SymphonyIRI. “Digging a level deeper, DigitaLink helps assess purchase patterns for each segment while also providing a tool that can be used to classify these shoppers.”
Two of these five shopper segments, “Show Me the Money” and “Digitize Me!” are most likely to search online for information about a variety of CPG categories in addition to spending a higher percentage of their money online overall, providing the best short-term opportunities for manufacturers and retailers seeking to expand their online activities.
- Show Me the Money – These shoppers focus on using digital technology to save money by frequently searching for and downloading coupons online. They may occasionally write product reviews or post comments on blogs.
- Digitize Me! – These shoppers have incorporated digital media across the board in their lives and participate in various online activities. They have a higher tendency of interacting with companies and brands on social networks and are also more willing to post their opinions online.
The following three segments, “Technophobes,” “Socializers” and “Wired for Work” make up 65 percent of the online population and don’t appear to provide as much near-term potential for marketing activity based on their attitudes and digital consumption behaviors.
- Technophobes – This group rarely searches online for product information or coupons, or interacts on blogs, leaving most online activity to e-mail.
- Socializers – Socializers use the Internet primarily as a means of communication versus a shopping resource.
- Wired for Work – Most consumers who fall in this segment own a smartphone and are driven by digital media, but use the technology primarily for work-related tasks.
The DigitaLink segmentation survey was completed in October 2011 through SymphonyIRI’s Consumer Network Panel of 100,000 households. A more specific survey of 47,000 households was also completed to provide more detailed segmentation analysis.
DigitaLink Segmentation Webinar
SymphonyIRI is offering a webinar, entitled “Understanding and Engaging the Digital Shopper,” that will take place on Tuesday, Feb. 7 at 11 a.m. CST and will highlight which consumers represent the greatest opportunity for online engagement and the best way to connect with them in the digital space. Based on findings from SymphonyIRI's DigitaLink Segmentation Study, this webinar will introduce five unique segments of the market that exhibit different attitudes about and usage of digital devices and media. Case studies will also be used to explore how marketers can develop effective marketing activation programs for key target groups. To register for the webinar, please visit here.
SymphonyIRI, formerly named Information Resources, Inc. (“IRI”), is the global leader in innovative solutions and services for driving revenue and profit growth in CPG, retail and healthcare companies. SymphonyIRI offers two families of solutions: Core SymphonyIRI solutions for market measurement and Symphony Advantage solutions for enabling new growth opportunities in marketing, sales, shopper marketing and category management. SymphonyIRI solutions uniquely combine content, analytics and technology to deliver maximum impact. SymphonyIRI helps companies create, plan and execute forward-looking, shopper-centric strategies across every level of the organization. For more information, visit: http://www.SymphonyIRI.com.
# # #
Phone: +1 (312) 474-3862
Phone: +1 (312) 474-3675